Oil Less Efo Riro (Spinach Sauce)

Its a beautiful Saturday and for some reason I am excited to be home.I only come home on the weekends and when I do,I take the opportunity to eat good food, try recipes I have seen an just have fun in general. 
I announced in this video that I was starting the keto diet, I should have done update on that video but I just haven't found the right time to seat down to film a video. The diet basically is a super low-cabs diet and when I came across this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs I decided to share on here. '
A quick disclaimer, I have featured recipes from the blog eatingnigerian.com. I do not take credit for the picture or recipe. Full credits to Ify of Eating Nigerian Food blog.


Oil Less Efo Riro (Spinach Sauce)

Tasty efo riro (spinach sauce) with minimal oil and full of flavor! Absolutely moreish but guilt free!
Author: 
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 20 to 24 cups Spinach or Green (Tete) (About 2 pounds/ 908 grams)
  • 1 large piece of dry fish (Asa or Other)
  • 11/2 Large Onion
  • 6 Tatashe or 5 Red Chili Peppers with ½ Red Bell Peppers (Completely deseeded)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons Vegetable or Olive Oil
  • 6 Tablespoons ground dry Crayfish
  • 10 grams Stock Cubes (Seafood preferably)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • Cooked Assorted Meat
Instructions
  1. Bring about 2.5 liters of water to boil in a large pot or saucepan. Wash spinach or green thoroughly then add to the pot of boiling water. Stir to ensure the spinach is completely covered in the boiling water, cover, take off the heat and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile soak dryfish then chop ½ on the onion and set aside. Cut the remain onion into large chunks with the peppers and roughly blend in a blender.Pour into a sieve placed over a bowl to remove excess liquid. Reserve the liquid as you might need some of it later.
  3. In a medium pot or saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil and saute the chopped onion in it to soften. Add the drained pepper and onion to the sauce pan and allow to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, Add the washed and drained dryfish, crayfish, stock cube and salt during this time. If the liquid completely dries out, add a little of the drained liquid from the pepper and onion.
  4. While the pepper cooks, drain the spinach or green, refresh with cool water from the tap and squeeze the spinach in about 3 to 4 batches to remove excess water then chop the spinach. Add the assorted meat to the cooking pepper mix and allow to cook an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach ensuring everything is properly combined, adding a little more of the drained liquid if you require and allow to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning then take of the heat. Serve hot on its own or with your preferred accompaniment.

Comments