THINGS NIGERIAN BLOGGERS WISH YOU KNEW

I have been blogging for over 3 years now and it has been a journey full of ups and downs but above all I am grateful. I had a post about how people close to me family and friends have found my blog and its no longer a huge secret which is one of the reasons I stopped personal blogging( I’ll share that in another post). Today, I have decided to share some of the things I wish my non-blogger friends and family understood about blogging 


1.
BLOGGERS APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT
Until recently it felt weird to have people call me by my blog name and talk to me about my blog or ask how my blogging journey is going but deep down I appreciate every kind gesture I get with reference to my blog and I’m sure other bloggers too appreciate your support. Every page view, comment, like, share literally makes our day and we love you.

2.
I'M NOT WASTING MY TIME ON THE INTERNET
People often times assume I am wasting time on the internet and I’m generally jobless. I won’t take time to defend myself or explain this but just know I’m not wasting my time

3.
BLOGGERS WON’T WORK FOR FREE
This one gets me all the time, people randomly think I would sit down in front of my pc, with internet that is expensive in Nigeria and work for free. Sorry if I have turned down offers to work for free but I pay for internet, I pay for my domain nothing here is free. Don't even get me started with how much I spend on my gear(laptop,camera,tripod etc) and you want me to advertise for free?

4.
BLOGGING IS TIME CONSUMING
As a lifestyle blogger that creates content and not copy, blogging is time consuming. At the end of each post, I want to deliver something fresh and educative or even entertaining.
 A blog post for every blogger varies- For a food blogger it requires him or her cooking the meal along sides photography then this blogger sits down to write an interesting and engaging post, a fashion blogger goes out of his or her way to get the perfect picture, edits then spends hours putting a post together. We just want you to know blogging is time consuming

5.
THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BLOGGING
 the other day someone was advising me to stop lifestyle blogging and go into the “Linda Ikeji” type of blogging as that is where money is. I don’t deny that there is a fair share of money rushing in for gossip and news bloggers but I’m not one and I’m not passionate about it so I won’t do it. I am a lifestyle blogger and it’s a type of blogging.

As a blogger out there, I’ll love to know what are some of the things you wish your family and friends knew…….

Comments

  1. Nice piece dear!!
    Most non bloggers do not understand what blogging is yet..
    www.kudoslivings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more. Over time they will.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. All your points are so relatable
    Especially the one of people expecting you to work for free and never failing to include an Ikeji behind your first name when you say you blog.
    But the pleasure derived makes it all worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They expect you to work for free and ask why you aren't rich πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Lol. I want my friends to know all these oh. I hate the Ikeji comparison and also when someone asks me if I'm doing it for money? Guy, no. I want to inspire but if money comes along, no biggie. It's also annoying when they ask What's the latest on my blog and think it's rude when I reply them with my blog url
    Laitanbee Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚I like your response to what's the latest on your blog? Just visit. .... thank you for visiting.

      Delete
    2. I really like the response to the latest too. lmao

      Delete
  4. Love these points girl. Tell em please. Blogging is time consuming and yes I love it when people call me Princess Audu or talk about my posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I hope people will understand too how time consuming blogging is.

      Thanks for stopping by☺☺☺

      Delete
  5. ugh!! did they hit you with the "linda ikeji" type of blog too? the comparison can be somewhat annoying and am already tired of explaining to people that am not passionate about gossip and entertainment news, they see lifestyle bloggers as poor and lazy people, the other day someone asked me to promote his song for free and got angry when i said am a lifestyle blogger not a promoter or music blogger. to be honest am happier inspiring people with my blog than making money from it... you made really nice points and i wish non bloggers would really see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gossip blogging advice is so annoying but at this point, I'm done explaining what and what not. At the end of the day I'm happy and so are my readers and that's whats important.

      Thank you Ebebe for visiting.

      Delete
  6. i don't consider myself a blogger because of how inconsistent I am, but I know quite a few people have hit me with the "Big girl, your money is just coming in like that you will be doing like you don't have money" aall because I agree to the "Yes, i have a blog." Really annoying

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to these points. Some of my friends found my blog themselves and it's somewhat embarrassing when they tell me they checked the blog, but of course I want that. I've been told once about how much data I'm just wasting and at that point, I was so discouraged. But I have a passion for it(more reason I stepped up in the game).
    The non bloggers should know we put a lot of time and 'brain'to create content and should be appreciated, Just like you mentioned.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading😊 , please drop a comment...I'll love to know your thoughts πŸ˜˜πŸ˜πŸ˜€